svg cuts banner

Friday, October 4, 2013

Happy Fall Y'all!



Afternoon Y'all,
Yesterday it was 83 degrees here and today it didn't make it past 66 degrees. We saw the Turkey Vultures come over the house yesterday and I told my hubby, we know it is fall when they come back. I guess it is fall finally. Whew!

I have seen the beautiful window cards on pinterest and I just love them. When your bank account can't support your wish list and no one is knocking on your door so to speak to let you push their new products for them you make do. That is what I did to make this card. Now  I am not saying I wouldn't like to have that die, I would, in fact there are a ton of poppy dies I would LOVE to have but well  I live on a fixed income now since hubby retired. So I looked on my list of SVG's I have to see if I had something that would work and I found the Townhouse SVG mini pack. Perfect!!!
I realized I would have to layer them a bit to give it the full  look and adding the Forest branches embossing folder helped a lot with that. I also had seen a Tim Holtz video where he put the ink on the embossing folder on the indented side and then embossed the paper so I tried it. I like the way it came out.
I started with a standard size card base which is 5 1/2 by 4 1/4. Then I cut 2 windows one at H. 3.400W 3.000 the other H 3.5.0000 W 3.085 and used a dark brown ink on my Forest Branches embossing folder by Cuttle Bug. Wiping the ink off with a baby wipe after your done,  works quite well. Make sure you don't use Stazon or it will stay on! I glued one to another slightly off center so  it would look like it had more depth. Ok now here is where I had a serious brain fart! ( sorry Miss Lorna!) I couldn't get the cut out for the card right using my machine. Ah  duh make it smaller and just a square.. yep realized that after I finished the card. Ok so instead I measured the inside of the window and marked it off using a pencil then cut it with my craft knife. I have heard Kristina Werner say not to try and cut the whole way through with one slice but to take another slice over the first till your all the way through. This is a much better way trust me. I do know. Then I used some really pretty fall leaves vellum I have had in my stash. I love this paper and buy it when ever I can afford it and can find it. It is a DCWV paper. I glued that to the outside of the card cut out then glued the frame over the top.
The die I used is by Memory box and is called Flowering Winterberry. I love these as they are thin dies and are made of steel. They make an amazing cuts too. The leaves come with this die and it also has berries as well. They are all attached when they come and you can take them apart but it is less likely that you'll loose them if you keep it together. They are that small. I cut out a few twigs and cut them up gluing the extra pieces onto the back so you couldn't see the cut pieces. It gives it a much more fluid look to it I think. Then I just took my trusty Scotch adhesive  and put a dot of glue where I wanted the leaves. I did use the flower shaping tools I love so much to give the leaves a more realistic look. I added three auburn colored rhinestones to the top three leaves in the corner of the window to give it a little sparkle. The ribbon is from American craft and something I bought at Big lots a couple of years ago. I tied a loose knot and hot glued it on.
 The inside is stamped with a acorn stamp I had and it says Fall is here. That's it, nothing special but I am happy with the way it turned out. I will have to look at it for a while then I will pray and ask whom I should send it too. I know He will pick just the right person he always does.

Mary and Leo make amazing files and most of the stuff they make you can used to do something like some of the amazing cards on Pinterest that use such wonderful dies. If you can afford them then more power to you go buy them. They make absolutely lovely cards. Now my Cameo can do a lot of things but it does struggle with thin things like that and you have no idea just how thin they are till you see it in person.

Thanks so much for reading my blog I love to see your comments and I do read them. On a side note the Christmas card I made using my cameo to make that cross die? Well my dear friend Rose bought me that die as a late birthday present and it came today. Ok it really is amazing. That doesn't mean you can't make a beautiful card without them. Look in your stash of SVG cuts, Look closely at the die and if you can make the design in your Silhouette program or whatever you have, do it! The point is don't let a little thing like money stop you from creating. Create, Dream and don't be afraid of what you don't know, learn how, keep trying till you succeed. If I can do it you can do it! ]
 Blessings everyone! and Happy Crafting! Sharalyn

Townhouse Windows SVG Collection

Supplies used:
 Neenah Desert Storm Card Stock
Stampin up Chocolate Chip ink
Cuttle Bug Forest Branches Embossing Folder
American Craft Card Stock, Danelion, Apricot, Pomegrante
Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive
Auburn colored Rhinestones from ScrapbookSteals.com
American Craft Fall Ribbon

Camera I use is a Nikon Coolpix S6300 but I turn off the flash.






No comments:

Post a Comment