svg cuts banner

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Valentine's Day Fun

Hey Y'all,

When I saw the candy cane box I thought, oh this would be cute for so many things! Christmas, Valentines or Birthday parties for kids. You only have to change the collections or kits you use with it. I thought the cake pops would be really cute sitting on a birthday table setting, but with Valentines day coming up I wanted to share my idea for it and let your imagination run away with you on a birthday theme. Even Adults would think this is cool!
 Lets get started using the Candy Cane House From Santa's Sweets SVG Kit. To make this a Valentines house that hold suckers you will need to make the holes smaller so they don't fall to far down into the house. Un-group  and release compound path on house 1 but don't move anything yet. Choose cut settings as if you were going to cut, this allows you to see the circles and chose one then hold down the shift key to choose all the circles one at a time. Open the Scale window and change the scale of the holes to W 0.200 x H 0.200. This should change all the hole sizes without moving them, now choose the modify window and subtract. This will make your holes and you will just need to select all and re group so your score lines are in the correct place.  Do the same for the roof panels.

Open house 2 and un-group then release compound path. This is only if you want to change the window shapes as I did. If you choose to keep them the same you do not need to do this step. Bring in heart 1 from Romantic Flourishes SVG Collection. The Heart for the large window was sized at W 1.375 x H 1.085. I drew skinny rectangles to make a pound sign or hash tag sign then added an extra skinny rectangle to that as well. Weld the pieces together then lay over the top of your heart. Select the hash tag and the heart then open the modify window and subtract. If this is to your liking then group the pieces together before you click off of it. If not, click undo and then move the hash tag or pound sign and retry modify and subtract. Group all the little pieces of the heart together so its easier to move.  For the smaller hearts duplicate the heart "window" you just made twice so you have a total of three windows. Size the small hearts at W 0.902 x H 0.744. Un-group and release compound path of house 2. Move the large heart window over the large window and place the smaller heart windows over the smaller widows. I angled the smaller windows a bit for looks but make sure you don't have them to close to the edge as I ended up doing. The reason is for that is the panel won't be wide enough then and you will have to widen your panel.  Remove the old window pieces and delete them. Choose the body of the house and each window then right click and choose compound path. This will make your windows heart shaped or if you choose to do this as a birthday pop house you could use cupcake shapes or whatever you would like for the windows. Mary has another  collection that comes to mind right now called Birthday Elements SVG Collection. Make sure you regroup them so your score lines are in the right place and you don't forget and move it . You will need to change the window shapes for the front panels as well.

I made the same heart really small and placed them in the door by clicking modify and subtract. I use the panels for the sides from the kit un-altered and the same for the back panel and trim.
I thought the Candy Cherub Bears SVG Collection was so cute so I sized the Raspberry bear down using the front of the house to gauge the size. I brought the bear body onto the page and sized it down, choosing all the pieces of the bear to fit the front of the house.  I wanted the bear to face the other way but to assure myself everything would cut correctly, I flipped it.  I used my Stamping up pens to draw dash lines around the bears and used Black Glossy Accents from Ranger to make the eyes. The other bear is Strawberry and was sized a bit larger. I also used C1 (cool grey) Copic Marker to add light shading lines to the clouds.

The Hearts I used for the sides of the house were from Vintage Valentines SVG Kit, the Mini Album. I sized" heart 2" at W 0.789 x H 0.791. I cut 8 hearts and glued them to the underside of the roof with hot glue. I added diamond stickles to the window and front top panel, trim. I also added it to the cut outs on the door. I used Christmas Red stickles for the sides of the house.
I hot glued baby ric rack to the front and sides of the roof, then and added heart shaped pearls to the sides.
I wrapped the tootsie pops with washi tape around the bottom of the wrapper and then tied them with twine from Doodlebug. This helps them fit better into the holes. The wrappers tend to get in the way otherwise. If you don't have washi tape try using scotch tape and the wrap the twine around the bottom and tie it.  I did not weight down the house as I felt Mary was right that it did not need to be weighed down. You can of course, add weight to the inside before you glue the bottom on if you wish. The glass rocks from Dollar Tree work great for that.
 So that is my Valentine Pop candy House. I hope like it and if you do make one, please share your photos on my Facebook page or on SVG Cuts. Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog. I have many more ideas to make and share with you in the near future. Thank you again for visiting, it is always nice to visit with friends. Have a great day and Happy Craftin' Y'all! Blessings Sharalyn


SVG Kits and Collections Used:
Santa's Sweets SVG Kit
Vintage Valentines SVG Kit
Romantic Flourishes SVG Collection
Candy Cherub Bears SVG Collection

 Mentioned:
Birthday Elements SVG Collection

Supplies Used:
Bazzill Card Stock:Mud Pie, White
Stampin Up: Loves Me Collection (retired but you can find it on eBay)
Stampin Up Card Stock : Tempting Turquoise
Ranger Stickles: Diamond, Christmas Red
Ranger Black Glossy Accents
Hero Arts Heart Pearls
Hero Arts Metal Adhesives
DoodleBug Twine
My Minds Eye Washi Tape
Stampin Up Markers, Early Espresso, Melon Mambo
Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive
Hot Glue
Silhouette Cameo

If you can find heart shaped suckers they would be really cute as well, also you will probably not need to wrap the suckers with washi tape then. I could not find them but that is what I had pictured. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Thanks so much for the detailed steps on modification. Hope to have time to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete